The responsibility of developing India’s defense technology is assigned to the DRDO, i.e., the Defence Research and Development Organization.
The Defence Research and Development Organization or DRDO was set up in 1958 and hence, it is the supreme body of researching, monitoring, regulating, and administering the India Defence Research and Development Program.
Indian Defence Technology
At present, DRDO is a network of more than 50 laboratories located in different cities of the country.
The DRDO specializes in the following fields −
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Engineering system
- Combat vehicles
- Advanced computing and simulation
- Life science
- Special materials
- Training, etc.
- How to Plan Your CDS Preparation: CDS Coaching in Lucknow for CDS Exam 2024
- Best CDS Coaching Institute in Lucknow | WDA
- Top NDA Institute in Lucknow | Best Defence Coaching in Lucknow
- NDA Coaching Center in Lucknow | Best NDA Coaching in Lucknow
- CDS Exam 2024: Notification, Eligibility, Application Form, Dates, Syllabus
The development of missile technology in India started in the 1960s. Consider the following point relating to Missile Technology −
- The first successful testing of space-cum-missile technology was the Rohini-75, which was tested in 1967.
- The research and development program for developing indigenous missiles was called the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program’. Indian Defence Technology
Types of Military Missiles
Based on target and launching position, the military missiles are classified as −
- Air-to-Air Missile − This missile is carried by an aircraft and targets the enemy’s aircraft.
- Surface-to-Air − Such missiles are fired at enemy aircraft from the ground.
- Air-to-Surface − These missiles are fired at the enemy country’s ships, tankers, vehicles, bunkers, or military men from the aircraft.
- Surface-to-Surface − Such missiles are fired at enemy grounds from our grounds.
- Underwater − Such missiles target enemy locations in the water.
The Integrated Guided Missile Development Program
The idea of Integrated Guided Missile Development Program (IGMDP) was conceptualized by the former President and eminent scientist, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. The objective of this program was to enable India to attain self-sufficiency in the field of missile technology. Indian Defence Technology
The missiles proposed under this program are −
- Prithvi − It is a short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile.
- Trishul − It is a short-range surface-to-air missile.
- Akash − It is a medium-range surface-to-air missile.
- Nag − It is a third-generation anti-tank missile.
Agni is a series of medium to intercontinental-range ballistic missiles. Agni missiles are medium-to-long-range, nuclear weapons capable of surface-to-surface ballistic missiles. Indian Defence Technology
In the series of Agni missiles, the first (Agni-I) missile was developed under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Program in the 1980s and it was first tested in 1989.
The following table lists down the different Agni missiles with their features −
|Agni-I||Medium-range ballistic missile||700 – 1,250 km||Operational|
|Agni-II||Medium-range ballistic missile||2,000 – 3,000 km||Operational|
|Agni-III||Intermediate-range ballistic missile||3,500 – 5,000 km||Operational|
|Agni-IV||Intermediate-range ballistic missile||3,000 – 4,000 km||Operational|
|Agni-V||Intercontinental ballistic missile||5,000 – 8,000 km||Testing|
|Agni-VI||Intercontinental ballistic missile||8,000 – 10,000 km||Under development|
Warriors Defence Academy Lucknow
Warriors Defence Academy is the Best NDA Coaching in Lucknow. We are the Leading Coaching Institute for NDA/CDS/AFCAT/Army/Air Force/Navy Located in Lucknow. Warriors Defence Academy has the Largest GTO Ground in India. The Aspirants of Defence Services are guided by Ex. Defence Officers. WDA was also Awarded as Best NDA Academy in Lko.
- We have complete facilities to Prepare you for Defence Exam…
- Faculty – Some of the best names in the field of Defence career coaching are available to impart psychology, GTO, and interview training.
- Infrastructure – State of the Art infrastructure facility for indoor-outdoor coaching.
- Fees – Competitive fee structures have been devised to allow deserving candidates from every strata of society to get an opportunity to avail of a coaching facility.
- Computer-aided coaching for NDA/CDS written test
- Expert coaching in Personality Development, Leadership, Team Building, and Soft Skills Specialized coaching for GTO tasks.
- SSB Interview guidance for TGC, NDA, TES, CDSE, SSC
- Outdoor task training
- Proficiency in Group Discussions
- Personal attention and grooming