Padma Awards (The Award of Excellence): 14 Facts at a Glance | Best NDA Coaching in Lucknow – Warriors NDA Academy is Awarded as Best NDA Academy in Lucknow. WDA is the best NDA Coaching in Lucknow India. We are the Leading NDA/CDS Coaching in Lucknow. When some of the most experienced defence career coaches gathered, the Warriors’ Defence Academy came into existence. We are a team of career coaching experts, who provide complete grooming to aspirants who appear for written examination for NDA and CDS and SSB interviews to become defence officers.
Warriors Defence Academy | Best NDA Coaching in Lucknow | Best Airforce Coaching in Lucknow | Best Defence Coaching in Lucknow India.
Padma Awards (The Award of Excellence): 14 Facts at a Glance
Padma Awards – one of the highest civilian Awards of India, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan, and Padma Shri. The Awards are given in various disciplines/ fields of activities, viz.- public affairs, art, social work, literature and education, trade and industry, science and engineering, medicine, sports, civil service, etc.
The Awards are given in various disciplines/ fields of activities, viz.- art, social work, public affairs, science and engineering, trade and industry, medicine, literature and education, sports, civil service, etc.
‘Padma Vibhushan’ is awarded for exceptional and distinguished service; ‘Padma Bhushan’ for distinguished service of high order and ‘Padma Shri’ for distinguished service in any field.
The awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year.
How Padma Awardees are selected?
The recommendations for Padma Awards are received from the State Governments/Union Territory Administrations, Central Ministries/Departments, Institutions of Excellence, etc. which are considered by an Awards Committee. On the basis of the recommendations of the Awards Committee, and after approval of the Home Minister, Prime Minister, and President, the Padma Awards are announced on the eve of Republic Day.
Padma Awards were instituted in the year 1954. These awards have been announced every year on Republic Day except for brief interruption(s) during the years 1978, 1979, and 1993 to 1997.Pictures of Padma Vibhushan Awardees-2019
Picture of Padma Vibhushan Awardees-2018
Facts about Padma Awards
1. The award seeks to recognize work of any distinction and is given for distinguished and exceptional achievements/service in all fields of activities/disciplines, such as Art, Literature and Education, Sports, Medicine, Social Work, Science and Engineering, Public Affairs, Civil Service, Trade and Industry, etc.
2. There ought to be an element of public service in the achievements of the person to be selected. It should not be merely excellence in a particular field but it should be excellence plus.
3. All persons without distinction of race, occupation, position, or sex are eligible for these awards.
4. However, Government servants including those working with PSUs, except doctors and scientists, are not eligible for these awards.
5. The award is normally not conferred posthumously. However, in highly deserving cases, the Government could consider giving an award posthumously if the demise of the person proposed to be honored has been recent, say within a period of one year preceding the Republic Day on which it is proposed to announce the award.
6. A higher category of Padma award can be conferred on a person only where a period of at least five years has elapsed since the conferment of the earlier Padma award. However, in highly deserving cases, a relaxation can be made by the Awards Committee.
7. It is the usual practice to invite recommendations every year from all State / UT Governments, Ministries/Departments of the Government of India.
8. The Padma Awards Committee is constituted by the Prime Minister every year.
9. The recommendations made by the Awards Committee are submitted to the Prime Minister and the President for their approval.
10. The total number of awards to be given in a year (excluding posthumous awards and to foreigners) should not be more than 120.
11. The names of the awardees are published in the Gazette of India; the President may cancel and annul the award of the decoration to any person.
12. The Awards are announced on 26th January every year and are presented by the President of India in an awards presentation ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan. The ceremony is generally held in the month of March/April.
Monetary Allowance for the Gallantry Award Winners of India
13. The award does not amount to a title and cannot be used as a suffix or prefix to the awardee’s name on letterheads, invitation cards, posters, books, etc. In the case of any misuse, the awardee will forfeit the award.
14.No cash allowance or any facility/benefit in terms of concession etc. in rail/air travel is attached to these awards.
In the year 2018; 85 recipients have been selected for the prestigious awards. This includes 3 Padma Vibhushan, 9 Padma Bhushan, and 73 Padma Shri awards. Fourteen of the awardees are women, while 16 persons are foreigners and 3 are being awarded posthumously. Padma Vibhushan Awardees; 2017 list;
|Awardee||Field of Prominence|
|1. Sharad Pawar||Public Affairs|
|2. Murli Manohar Joshi||Public Affairs|
|3. P.A. Sangma (posthumous)||Public Affairs|
|4. Sunder Lal Patwah (posthumous)||Public Affairs|
|5. K.J.Yesudas||Art – Music|
|6. Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev||Others – Spiritualism|
|7. Udipi Ramachandra Rao||Science & Engineering|
Padma Vibhushan Awardees; 2018 list;
|1.||Shri Illaiyaraja||Art-Music||Tamil Nadu|
|2.||Shri Ghulam Mustafa Khan||Art-Music||Maharashtra|
|3.||Shri Parameswaran Parameswaran||Literature and Education||Kerala|
Padma Bhushan Awardees-2017 list;
|Awardee||Field of Prominence|
|1. Vishwa Mohan Bhatt||Art – Music|
|2. Devi Prasad Dwivedi||Literature & Education|
|3. Tehemton Udwadia||Medicine|
|4. Ratna Sundar Maharaj||Others-Spiritualism|
|5.Swami Niranjana Nanda Saraswati||Others-Yoga|
|6. H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn (Foreigner)||Literature & Education|
|7. Cho Ramaswamy (Posthumous)||Literature & Education –Journalism|
Padma Bhushan Awardees-2018 list;
|1.||Shri Pankaj Advani||Sports- Billiards/Snooker||Karnataka|
|2.||Shri Philipose Mar Chrysostom||Others-Spiritualism||Kerala|
|3.||Shri Mahendra Singh Dhoni||Sports-Cricket||Jharkhand|
|4.||Shri Alexander Kadakin(Foreigner/Posthumous)||Public Affairs||Russia|
|5.||Shri Ramachandran Nagaswamy||Others-Archaeology||Tamil Nadu|
|6.||Shri Ved Prakash Nanda (OCI)||Literature and Education||USA|
|7.||Shri Laxman Pai||Art-Painting||Goa|
|8.||Shri Arvind Parikh||Art-Music||Maharashtra|
|9.||Ms. Sharda Sinha||Art-Music||Bihar|
List of Recipient of 2019 Padma Awardees; In 2019 the President of India has approved the conferment of 112 Padma Awards. The list comprises 4 Padma Vibhushan, 14 Padma Bhushan, and 94 Padma Shri Awards. Out of 112 Padma awardees, 21 of the awardees are women and 11 persons from the category of Foreigners/NRI/PIO/OCI,3 Posthumous awardees, and 1 transgender person. Padma Vibhushan (4) Awardee List is as follows;
Padma Bhushan- (14) Awardee List is as follows;
The Padma awards are announced on the occasion of Republic Day every year. These awards are conferred by the President of India at ceremonial functions which are held at Rashtrapati Bhawan usually around March/ April every year.
It is worthy to say that sometimes the Padma awards become disputed because of their political influence.
India’s Highest Civilian Award (Bharat Ratna): and Facts at a Glance
Mahavir Chakra: Know About India’s Second Highest Gallantry Award