NDA Physical Requirements| Best NDA Coaching in Lucknow
UPSC NDA Physical Requirements 2021
UPSC NDA Physical Requirements 2021: The Union Public Service Commission has postponed the UPSC NDA/NA II Exam 2021 to 14 November 2021. The eligible candidates are evaluated as per physical requirements set by NDA and NA norms. These physical and mental standards are necessary. Failure to clear these standards will result in instant disqualification of the candidate. This article will specifically guide NDA aspirants regarding the specific physical standards (NDA height and weight chart) for the Indian Army, Navy and the Air Force.
It is also advisable that all NDA Aspirants should get themselves medically examined to check if they are fit for getting recruited by the NDA. Since medical and physical fitness is examined later, it is better to know things beforehand.
The candidates are also advised to rectify minor defects/ailments to speed up the finalisation of a medical examination conducted at the Military Hospital after being recommended at the SSB.
A few of such commonly found defects/ailments are listed below:
- Wax (Ears)
- Deviated Nasal Septum
- Undersized Chest
The civilian candidates appearing for all types of commission in the Armed Forces will be entitled to out-patients treatment from service sources at public expense for injuries sustained or diseases contracted during their examination by the Selection Board. They will also be entitled to in-patient treatment at public expense in the Officers ward of a hospital provided
- the injury is sustained during the tests or,
- the disease is contracted during the examination by the selection board, and there is no suitable accommodation in a local civil hospital, or it is impracticable to remove the patient to the civil hospital; or,
- the medical board requires the candidate’s admission for observation.
NOTE: They are not entitled to special nursing.
UPSC NDA Physical Standards 2021
The eligible candidates who are called upon for SSC Interviews will undergo a medical examination. To get recruited to the academy, they need to be declared fit by the Medical Board. There are a few set norms for NDA Physical Requirements.
- The candidate must be in good physical and mental health and free from any disease/disability which is likely to interfere with the efficient performance of military duties.
- There should be no evidence of weak constitution, bodily defects.
- The candidate should not be overweight or obese.
During the medical examination, an examiner conducts the investigation based on the following points.
- Hearing is perfect, and ear, nose, and throat are disease-free.
- Eyes are bright, clear, and there is no abnormality in the vision.
- Clear speech without impediments.
- The chest is Well-formed with healthy lungs and heart.
- Feet and toes are well-formed and free of abnormalities.
- No sign of disease in Genito-Urinary tract.
- Absence of any congenital malformation or defects.
The major NDA Physical Requirements to be fulfilled by candidates are NDA Height & Weight and Visual Standards.
NDA Height and Weight Chart
Under NDA Physical Requirements, the minimum acceptable height is 157.5 cms for Army and 162.5 cms for Air Force. There are a few exceptions set according to the region of the candidate.
- For Gorkhas and individuals belonging to hills of North-Eastern regions of India, Garhwal and Kumaon, the minimum acceptable height will be 5 cm less than the general norm.
- In the case of candidates from Lakshadweep, the minimum acceptable height can be reduced by 2 cm.
Check out the below table to have an overview of the minimum height requirements for candidates belonging to different regions.
|S No.||Category||Minimum Height for Male Candidates|
|1||Tribals from Ladakh Region||155 cm|
|2||Aandaman & Nicobar, Lakshadweep andMinicoy Islands||155 cm|
|3||Gorkhas, Nepali, Assamese, Garhwali,Kumaoni and Uttarakhand||152 cm|
|4||Bhutan, Sikkim & North East Region||152 cm|
As per NDA Physical Standards Guidelines, these are required minimum physical attributes for the Indian Army and Air force.
NDA Physical Requirements for Indian Army and Air Force
The height and weight requirements for the Indian Army and Air Force is set up by the NDA. Check out the below table for complete details.
|Physical Standard For NDA|
|Height (in cm) for ARMY/ AIR FORCE||Weight (in Kgs)|
|15-16 Years||16-17 Years||17-18 Years||18-19 Years|
NDA Physical Requirements for Indian Navy
The height and weight requirements for the Indian Navy is set up by the NDA. Check out the below table for complete details.
|Height (In cms) for NAVY||Weight (in kgs)|
|20 years||18 years||16 years|
A few salient points regarding Height and Weight NDA Physical Requirements are as follows.
- The height is measured without shoes.
- Height relaxation up to 2.5 cm (5 cm for Navy) may be allowed where the Medical Board certifies that the candidate is likely to grow and come up to the required standard on completion of his training.
To meet the special requirements as a pilot in the Air Force, the acceptable measurements of leg length, thigh length and sitting height will be as under:
|Minimum (in cm)||Maximum (in cm)|
|Sitting Height||81.50||96. 00|
NDA Physical Requirements – Visual Standards
Candidates must clear the visual standards set by the NDA to be eligible for the NDA. The below table highlights the requirements for the Indian Army
|NDA Vision Standard For ARMY|
|Distance Vision (Corrected)||Better Eye 6/6Worse Eye 6/9|
|Colour vision||CP-III (Defective Safe)|
|Myopia must not be more than -2.5DHypermetropia must not be more than +3.5D|
Check out the visual standards for Air Force candidates in the below table.
|NDA Vision Standards for Air Force|
|Candidates with spectacles||Not eligible for Air Force|
|Minimum distant vision||6/6 in one eye and 6/9 in otherHypermetropia: Correctable to 6/6|
|Colour vision CPI Hypermetropia: +2.0 D Sph Manifest Myopia: Nil Retinoscopic Myopia 0.5 in any Meridian permitted Astigmatism : + 0.75 D Cyl (within + 2.0 D.Max)|
Check out the visual standards for Navy candidates in the below table.
|NDA Vision standard for Navy|
|Uncorrected eyes without glass -6/6, 6/9Corrected eyes with glass – 6/6, 6/6Myopia Limit –0.75 D Sph Hypermetropia Limit – +1.5Binocular Vision – IIIColour Perception Limit – IAstigmatism (within limits of myopia and hypermetropia) + 0.75 D Sph / Cyl|
The UPSC releases the detailed physical requirements for the Indian Army, Indian Air Force and Indian Navy in its official notification. It is crucial for candidates to have an understanding of the requirements to be eligible for the selection. The complete eligibility in terms of physical and medical standards is out of the scope of this article. Therefore, candidates are advised to check the official notification to have a holistic view of the National Defence Academy Eligibility Criteria.
We hope all NDA aspirants were able to draw conclusions from this article regarding NDA Physical Requirements 2021. If there are any doubts or queries, please mention them in the comments section below.