CDS Selection Process 2022: Written Test, SSB Interview Methods, Document Verification
CDS Selection Process 2022: The selection process is released in the Combined Defence Service notification 2022 with three stages. Candidates will proceed further in the UPSC CDS 2022 Recruitment Process by clearing the selection process stages. Candidates will be selected on the basis of a written examination and then be shortlisted for an interview process. It will be to test the intelligence as well as to conduct a personality test for the candidates.
- The shortlisted candidates will be chosen on the basis of merit and preference for the respective academies like the Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Indian Air Force Academy, etc.
- It is important for each candidate to understand what are the selection procedures for the CDS Recruitment 2022.
This article will give you complete information about each and every step of recruitment such as the number of papers and interview details, and required documents for your better understanding of this recruitment selection process.
CDS Selection Process 2022
The eligible applicant will have to appear for a three-stage process which includes a written examination along with Viva-Voce and Document verification to be conducted by the CDS Recruitment 2022 board on the basis of which selection will be finalized. Let’s have a look at the Selection Process for this recruitment drive.
Stage 1- Candidates will have to appear for a written examination.
Stage 2- Candidates who cleared the written examination will be called for an Interview process.
Stage 3- Final merit list will be prepared on the basis of their process in written as well as in the interview.
Stage 4- Successful candidates will be called for a Medical Examination and then those who clear bit will go for a Document verification round
|CDS 2022 Selection Process Overview
|Name of the Conducting body
|Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
|Vacancies for CDS II 2022
|CDS Official Website
|Stages of the UPSC CDS Exam
|1. Written Exam2. SSB Interview
|Mode of Exam
Note: A final merit list will be prepared for the shortlisted candidates who clear all these stages successfully. Also, the official notification is not released as yet but the stages mentioned above are as per the CDS II Examination.
To get the detailed CDS Result, candidates can visit the linked article.
The candidates who are applying to these respectable academies as mentioned above should be well aware of the latest examination pattern to have a well-informed idea about the important topics and sub-topics from an examination point of view.
The written exam pattern for the CDS Examination varies in the case of the OTA or Officer Training Academy and other academies(Indian Naval Academy, Indian Military Academy, Indian Air Force, etc.). Let us look at the tabulated forms below for a better idea.
To get the detailed CDS Syllabus, candidates can visit the linked article.
Stage 1: Written Examination
Exam Pattern for INA, IMA & IAF
The candidates should be aware of the exam weightage in the case of the written examination stage which comprises 3 objective papers for a total of 300 marks(100 marks each).
There will be a positive marking of 1 mark for every correct answer and a negative marking of 0.33 marks for every wrong answer. In the case of Maths, you will get +1 for every correct answer and -0.33 for every wrong answer. Let us go through the table to understand it better.
|Total Marks of each subject
|Duration of each paper
For details on the CDS Eligibility Criteria, refer to the linked article.
Exam Pattern for Officer Training Academy (OTA)
The written exam stage for the OTA comprises 2 papers for a total of 200 marks. The candidates who clear this exam with the minimum qualifying marks will be further shortlisted for the interview round. There will be a positive marking of 1 mark for every correct answer and a negative marking of 0.33 marks for every wrong answer. Let us look at the table below to understand better.
|Total Marks of each subject
|Duration of each paper
To get the detailed CDS Admit Card, candidates can visit the linked article.
Stage 2: SSB Interview/ Personality Test
Only candidates who clear the written examination stage will proceed to the CDS interview round. It will comprise two stages as given below:
Stage I: Candidates will have to appear for a Picture Perception & Description Test which will basically test their Intelligence and personality.
Stage II: Stage two consists of 4 days of assessment which tests candidates’ psychology towards this Job, Physical fitness, and confidence to represent the defense system of India.
- Psychological Tests,
- Interview round,
- Group testing office tasks
- A conference round.
CDS Officer Intelligence Rating | CDS Selection Process 2022
The Officer Intelligence Rating test is the first step in the CDS Interview 2022 Stage 2 selection process. The test is divided into two sections: verbal reasoning and nonverbal reasoning. Candidates must answer 55-60 questions from both parts in order to pass this test.
For details on the UPSC CDS Cut Off, refer to the linked article.
CDS Picture perception and Description test
This section of the Stage 1 CDS Interview is difficult because it tests the candidate’s memory retention and comprehension skills. This screening test is fun to take because candidates have only 30 seconds to look at a hazy image and then have to explain it in three minutes. Candidates must concentrate on seven fundamental parameters in this limited time frame: CDS Selection Process 2022
- Past (what happened in the picture situation just before the click)
- Present (what events currently take place)
- Future (what will happen next in the picture)
|UPSC CDS Interview Day by Day Events
|Day 1 includes the Reporting, Filling of forms, Picture Perception and Description Test (PPDT)
|Day 2 includes a Psychological Test which includes the TAT (Thematic Apperception Test), WAT (Word Association Test), and SRT (Situation Reaction Test). SD (Self-Description)
|The most important leg of the CDS Interview is Group Tasks wherein candidates have to prove their physical as well as mental prowess. Also, Officer Qualities are judged on the basis of these tasks. The tasks allotted to candidates include Group Discussion, Military Planning Exercise, Progressive Group Task, Group Obstacle Race, Half Group Task
|Day 4 includes Individual Obstacle Task (IoT), Command Task, Final Group Task (FGT), Personal Interview, and Individual Lecturette
|Day 5 includes Conference Round and the Document Verification
What after CDS Interview 2022?
After the CDS 2022 interview process is completed, the candidate is verified, which includes document verification. Candidates who pass the interview must bring their original documents, as well as two self-attested copies, to the SSC (Services Selection Center) after the interview. The list of documents that must be carried out at the time of selection is given below.
- Qualification Certificates
- Proof of Identity (Pan Card, Aadhar Card, Voter ID, etc.)
- Passport Size Photographs
- Category Certificate for the Reserved Category Candidates
- Proof of Residence
- Birth Certificate
The last but most crucial step is the medical examination. This step is used to determine whether or not the chosen aspirant is physically capable of serving in the officer cadre. This confirmation is required. You must complete all verification procedures before being considered for final employment.
Note: You have to qualify for the personality tests mentioned above to proceed to the document verification and medical test rounds. CDS Selection Process 2022
For details on the CDS Previous Year Question Papers, refer to the linked article.
Stage 3: Document Verification
Candidates will have to produce relevant documents for verification purposes. This round is equally important as other rounds because improper documentation will lead to the ineligibility of the candidates. We believe that no one would wish to return back after all the rigorous stages, hence do prepare a list of documents before the exam date. This habit will keep you away from the last-minute hassle. CDS Selection Process 2022
To get the detailed CDS Salary, candidates can visit the linked article.
Stage 4: Medical Examination Process
An applicant who is recommended by the Services Selection Board will undergo a compulsory medical examination by a Board of Service Medical Officers. Women Aspirants will undergo Medical Examination by a Medical Board comprising male/ female doctors/ specialists/Gynaecologists. There will be a Lady Medical Officer as a member of the Board. Only those candidates will be admitted to the Academy who are declared fit by the Medical Board. CDS Selection Process 2022
To get the detailed CDS Exam Pattern, candidates can visit the linked article.
CDS Disqualification Criteria
- Candidates who were admitted to the Air Force Academy, Indian Military Academy, National Defence Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai, but were removed due to objectionable behavior will not be considered for admission to the Indian Military Academy, Air Force Academy, Indian Naval Academy, or the Army’s Short Service Commission.
- Candidates who have been withdrawn from the Indian Military Academy due to a lack of Officer-Like Qualities (OLQ) will not be considered for admission. CDS Selection Process 2022
- Candidates who were previously chosen as Special Entry Naval Cadets but were subsequently withdrawn from the National Defence Academy or Naval Training Establishments due to a lack of Officer-like qualities will be ineligible for admission to the Indian Navy Academy.
- Candidates who dropped out of the Indian Military Academy (IMA), Officers’ Training Academy (OTA), National Cadet Corps (NCC), or Graduate course due to a lack of officer-like qualities would not be considered for a Short Service Commission in the Army.
CDS Selection Process 2022 – Key points
- Qualified applicants will have to produce the relevant Certificates/Documents and mark sheets in original at the time of the interview, failing which he/they will not be allowed to appear in the interview. CDS Selection Process 2022
- The decision once taken by the Commission as to the eligibility or otherwise of a candidate for admission to written examination or selection will be final and no correspondence or personal inquiry will be entertained. CDS Selection Process 2022